Tuesday 5 July 2011

VFR750 phoenix rises!

Ever had a bike you REALLY loved - but couldn't ride anymore 'cos it hurt?  That was me with my 1993 Honda VFR750.  That's me at the Phillip Island GP Circuit back in 1994 cresting what used to be Lukey Heights.  Love everything about that bike - but just can't ride 'head down, bum up' anymore.  Neck-aches, headaches, sore wrists, numb fingers and hands - parasthaesia coming from my neck.  That's what happens when you drop bikes.  C'est la vie!  But you still want to ride - right?  Well.......I bought a TDM900 Yamaha and it is GREAT and I have fiddled with it more than a bit (that's another story), but I still missed my VFR!  So much so that I bought another one last year - a 1993 model, reasonably cheap.  Only 25,000 kms on the clock and I just LOVE that motor! BUT I CAN'T RIDE IT!  A one hour ride and I need 4 weeks at the chiro/physio!  Bloody hell!  Now what?

Well, that never say die Aussie attitude came to the fore and I nearly have my beloved VFR to a point where I can ride it without greasing the palm of every medical practitioner in the State.  I should get it back tomorrow to start taking some preliminary photos.  Still have to pretty it up a bit with some powder coating, but the bars are now high, all the controls work and the seat should be brilliant - that's being done today.  That just leaves the 'highway pegs' to go......Yes - I know you purists will say 'How could you bastardize such a great bike - but hey!  If I can't ride it, what's the point?  So I opt for the pleasure and make it look as good as it can.  And actually I don't think it looks half bad - but you'll have to wait for the pics to judge for yourself.  Now if I can just get a touring screen.........

No comments:

Post a Comment